V8.0 No iSeries Connection

General discussion on Zend Studio for IBM System i
bguetzkow_ucs

V8.0 No iSeries Connection

Post by bguetzkow_ucs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:15 pm

I downloaded V8.0 and installed it. There no longer seems to be an option to create a connection to iSeries (or IBM i or whatever it might be called in Studio these days). This seems kind of strange, seeing as this version is intended for IBM i customers.

Any suggestions?
--Bruce Guetzkow

mlavinder

Re: V8.0 No iSeries Connection

Post by mlavinder » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Since it was so specific to IBM i, it is quite possible they removed this feature. It isn't listed as an included feature anymore. I never used it but I think it would be pretty easy to replicate the functionality using an Eclipse Plugin like QuantumDB.

*EDIT*

I am downloading the new version now and I will let you know if I find the feature.

chris_hird

Post by chris_hird » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:34 pm

I believe they are pushing everyone to use the SSH connection to the IBM i. It always was a better method and the IBM i connections seemed to be pretty flaky so I assume they decided to remove them. All you have to do now is start SSH on the IBM i and connect to it..

Chris...
Shield Advanced Solutions Ltd
Home of JobQGenie and the Receiver Apply Program
http://www.shield.on.ca/Blog

bguetzkow_ucs

Post by bguetzkow_ucs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Chris:

Again, this version of Studio IS specific to IBM i, so it seems odd that there is no connection to IBM i (it was there in V 7.x). Is there any documentation to support that? Setting up SSH just for this seems to be a lot of extra work. I don't remember the connection to IBM i every being "flaky". I use it all the time in WDSc.
--Bruce Guetzkow

bguetzkow_ucs

Post by bguetzkow_ucs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Just a follow-up...

I've been in communication with Mike Pavlak & Shlomo Vanunu from Zend. They've given me the low-down on this. Apparently some (many?) people had issues with the iSeries connection when creating a PHP Project from Remote Server. The connection was too limiting (not sure of the details).

After reviewing the details, setting up SSH is pretty easy, though I'll have to look at how to auto-start it after IPL. Scott Klement wrote a nice article on it (http://systeminetwork.com/article/ssh-s ... ls-openssh - not sure what level of membership you need for this). I just used his default commands (3) in PASE and I was up and connected in no time.

YLSNED (You Learn Something New Every Day)...
--Bruce Guetzkow