Trying to get some things conceptually sorted in my mind

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
grah7845

Trying to get some things conceptually sorted in my mind

Post by grah7845 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 am

These could be a few very dumb questions, my apologies if they are and my apologies for being more about the PHP Toolkit than Zend Server

We have a Power7 AS400. This has a partition running RHEL 7.2 (Maipo) which has Apache+PHP working. This is going to be the very back end of our system.

Can I use the toolkit on the RHEL partition to call the RPG functions on the OS400 partition?

Do we need Zend Server (or similar) running on the OS400 partition to marshal the requests?

mpavlak

Re: Trying to get some things conceptually sorted in my mind

Post by mpavlak » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Sorry for the delay but yes you can. I have not done it myself, but this link may provide some advice. http://yips.idevcloud.com/wiki/index.ph ... amplesRest

Personally, i would run a PHP stack on the IBM i which is free and then provision services that can be consumed by the Linux partition and any other resource in the data center. I believe this approach may perform better, too as long as you stick to ReSTful services over SOAP ;-)

FYI...once you upgrade to Power 8, you can explore a Little Endian version of RHEL and Zend Server for Linux on Power that can also have a support model.

Regards,

Mike