Please Read FIRST

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
kentatzend

Please Read FIRST

Post by kentatzend » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Welcome to the Zend Server for i Beta. We'll be using this forum for feedback and installation issues. We think this new product will be a significant improvement over Zend Core and Zend Platform in terms of both installation and setup and overall usability. Some key areas of improvement are in core performance and in setup. The product now runs directly out of ILE using a new FastCGI technology developed by IBM. Before you get started here is a simple checklist that you should read before you get started:
  • Download the product from : http://downloads.zend.com/zendserver/5. ... -IBM-i.zip
  • Verify that your system has the most current HTTP group for your given release of the IBM i operating system.
    • 5722DG1 - V5R4 – Level 20
    • 5763DG1-i6.1 – Level 10
    • To find your current level, issue the WRKPTFGRP to see the current level for each PTF Group
  • Install the PTF’s for FastCGI PHP included with the Beta download.
    • These PTF’s are required for a successful installation and operation of your PHP environment.
  • Disk Space
    • The zip file download is about 300+MB
    • The SAVF to the host expands to nearly 1 GB
    • Make sure you have enough disk space for good performance and object installation & expansion.
  • Save your existing configuration.
    • The installation of Zend Server does not interfere or update any existing Core / Platform installation and can be installed side-by-side with existing installations. But ... better safe than sorry!
  • Verify that port 10088 is not in use.
    • This will be the port that the IBM HTTP server listens on by default. This can be changed once the product is installed.
  • There is no upgrade path from Zend Core/Platform to Zend Server at this time.
    • Take advantage of the side-by-side installation process
      Implement your existing scripts from your production environment simply by using Zend Studio to copy the files from one directory to another.
    • Once the product goes GA, it is a simple switch of the port numbers to make it live.
  • Don’t go looking for the PASE Apache Server.
    • It’s not there anymore (yeah!)
    • Any custom directives that were embedded into the PASE Apache will need to be reevaluated and possibly implemented in the IBM Apache Server.
    • It would be a good idea to take a look at your PASE Apache server and make sure that any customizations have been reviewed.
  • As always, it is a good idea to user QSECOFR for installation.
    • You will NEED QSECOFR for MySQL
    • If you choose not to install MySQL you can get by with a profile that has QSECOFR like security
  • Gather your thoughts good, bad or indifferent and post to the Zend Serverfor IBM i Forum (ie here).
  • You will need to obtain the License key. Please go to http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/license and press the button for the 5.0 beta). This is different than the current Zend Core process. This is because the stack of Zend Core and Zend Platform have been consolidated into a single LP. Without the key, the stack reverts into a “Core-like” function providing the base PHP runtime (though with significant improvements in several areas). With the key you get the all of the features and functions of the stack and more. Install the 30-day key and enjoy!
Thanks, The Zend Team!