Default Install

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
jonfparis

Default Install

Post by jonfparis » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 am

First let me say that I like what I've seen so far - I'm loving the "only one apache" bit - nice work folks. But ...

From what I'm seeing in the beta install and what was posted in the forum header - "This is because the stack of Zend Core and Zend Platform have been consolidated into a single LP. Without the key, the stack reverts into a “Core-like” function providing the base PHP runtime (though with significant improvements in several areas). With the key you get the all of the features and functions of the stack and more. Install the 30-day key and enjoy!"

I have to say I think that if this is the current default install then it is a _huge_ mistake.

The default has to be the way that I will use the server normally (i.e. the "core-like" version). I have no problem if you offer me the chance to use this upgraded version during the install - i.e. "Would you like to install all this extra stuff that will go away in 30 days (too short by the way) if you don't pay for it". That's fine - then I know I'm getting extra stuff and that it is not part of the base package - but please don't give me that by default or you will seriously annoy a very large number of people. They have been told that they get the base package for free - how do you think they will react to a message that says "Only x days left in your trial". At best they will ask why they were misled - at worst they will just give up on PHP right then and there.

Please rethink this - having both in a single package is a wonderful idea - installing it like this is a really really bad idea.

Jon Paris

kentatzend

Re: Default Install

Post by kentatzend » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:28 pm

In the final version the plan is for it to tell people that they need to register with Zend to enable their 1 year of free support provided by IBM. Then they will be directed to a web site where they will get both their 1 year free key and have the option of getting a 30 day (we could make it longer) eval key. Then they enter which ever key they want to use and it should behave normally at that point.

Does thay sound a bit better?

jonfparis

Post by jonfparis » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Yes - that is _exactly_ what I would have suggested. Good choice.

Thanks for clarifying - I got a nasty shock when I saw it.

You have no idea (or maybe you do!) of the number of people who give up on Studio after their trial subscription is up because there's nothing to tell them that their license key is free if only they go through the "highly intuitive" magic incantation of pressing the "Purchase License" menu item. It is not quite as bad as Windows requiring you to press "Start" to shut the machine down - but it is close! When I saw the notice I had visions of going through all that again.

Thanks again

Jon P.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

We're also changing the message on the Studio license message too.