ZenderSever for IBM I & Oracle

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
scubaticus

ZenderSever for IBM I & Oracle

Post by scubaticus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:11 am

The ZendServer documentation says: "... out-of-the-box connectivity to common databases
including DB2 and MySQL ....."

I suppose Oracle may also be called a common database, but I can't find OCI8 or PDO_OCI in ZendServer.
Is there a way to connect to an oracle database using ZendServer? (we use the latest version available).

kentatzend

Re: ZenderSever for IBM I & Oracle

Post by kentatzend » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Oracle does not officially support the OCI drivers and client libraries on IBM i. So until they do we simply do not have a lot of options on this front.

scubaticus

Post by scubaticus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:04 pm

On the site http://www.zend.com/en/products/server/ ... rver-ibm-i I read "An up-to-date, tested and supported PHP stack ensures high reliability, enhances security and increases productivity"

Perhaps zend should be more specific (or change the documentation/site info) in what they mean with "up-to-date" or "Out-of-the-box connectivity to all common databases".

Our PHP applications uses DB2, MySql and Oracle (which may be called common databases) and is running in a XP environment. We had plans on running these application on the iSeries but because of the missing oci8 functionality, ZendSvr is useless for us at the moment.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Oracle simply does not support OCI8 or the Oracle client libraries on IBM i. We'd be glad to provide Oracle DB support but we can't include what does not exist. So this isn't really a Zend Server issue as there is nothing Zend (or anyone besides Oracle) can do. If you need to access all those databases, IBM i is not the right platform for you. Linux or Windows is going to work better because Oracle supports those platforms.

I don't feel any statements on are web site are inaccurate especially misleading. When we say the product is "up to date" we mean we make period releases that add new support for capabilities that are available on the target platform. Not all platforms support all the capabilities of other platforms. The statement "Out-of-the-box connectivity to all common databases" again this implies available on the platform you decide to deploy on. Oracle on IBM i could be considered not "a common database" on IBM i due to lack of official support.

So I hope this clear up this issue.