Zend Server CE Version

General discussion on Zend Server for IBM System i
sjundesg

Zend Server CE Version

Post by sjundesg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 am

I just installed the ZS for OS5.4. After the initial install for 1 yr, can I continue using after the expiration date? Will it continue to be free for development?

rabsson

Re: Zend Server CE Version

Post by rabsson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 am

Hi
what i understand is that i doesn't require any license it is free to use

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:02 pm

it is free to use after the 1 year period but if you want support you will have to purchase Zend Server.

sjundesg

Post by sjundesg » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 am

If it's supposed to be free, why was there an expired date? I installed the Zendcore and there was no expired date since it was free for use. What I understand the additional feature was the 5250 emulation (previously was the Zend platform), which I tested was quite slow. If I already configured 5250 using WebSphere Express, I do not need this additional feature. So what additional advantage do I get from the Zend Server except that it was properly distributed as compared to the Zendcore?

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:37 pm

The expiration date is the expiration of the support only. The product will continue to run just fine once that date passes you jsut can call Zend for support issues anymore. Zend Core had a support expiration date as well it just was never displayed in the UI.

Zend Server CE has a lot of advantages over Zend Core. It has a bytecode cache which speed up PHP execution by about 2-3x. It has a data cache if you want to cache data from long running DB calls, etc. It is built as a direct integration to ILE so it no longer uses two copies of Apache and a reverse proxy which is much faster. Overall it's simply a much better product.

BTW I'm moving this thread to the IBM i section of the forums ....

sjundesg

Post by sjundesg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I will move my codes over for further testing.

aaron-s-hawley

Post by aaron-s-hawley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:04 pm

kentatzend wrote:Zend Server CE has a lot of advantages over Zend Core.
Does Zend Server CE get updates and hot fixes though? Is that something only available with the first year of support? Or do we have to manually upgrade no matter what.

kentatzend

Post by kentatzend » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm

CE updates via PTFs.